Got a new TV but not sure how to set it up and safely and securely mount it on your wall? Check out this Geeks’ guide for mounting a TV to the wall securely. We recommend for the sake of safety, that you enlist the help of another person. TVs can be heavy and difficult to carry for one person.
You’ll need to have these tools on hand to properly mount your TV to the wall:
- Drill and drill bits
- Stud finder
- TV mount (standard or adjustable swivel)
- Mounting hardware
- Painter’s tape and paper/cardboard cutout (the same size as your TV)
Steps for Mounting a TV to the Wall:
- Determine where you want to mount the TV on your wall. Make sure it's not in the way of swinging doors or windows. If there is a window in the room, it’s best to place the TV along the same wall instead of opposite it, to avoid a glare on the TV.
- Test the view of the location and height of installation using a TV-shaped cutout or painter's tape and paper. This will help you adjust the location before drilling into the wall and give you an idea of how the TV will look in that spot, once it’s installed.
- Once you have the location chosen, you will need to use the stud finder to locate the studs in the wall and mark them with a pencil. For a secure installation, it’s important to only secure your TV mount into studs. Drywall alone will not withstand the weight of a TV.
- To ensure the installation is level, place the level along the top of the TV-shaped cutout. Using a pencil, mark pilot holes where you plan to drill.
- Position the wall mount and check the level again. Adjust and mark the location on the wall with a pencil again if needed.
- Drill pilot holes into the marked studs using the proper drill bit.
- Using a screwdriver or drill with the appropriate bit, attach the mount to the wall.
- Gently place the TV face down on a towel or Styrofoam packaging. Attach the mounting plate directly to the back of the TV.
- With help from someone else, lift the TV while making sure the mounting plate aligns with the wall mount and make sure the TV is securely attached before letting go.
- For an aesthetically pleasing setup, zip tie or Velcro all the cords together and use cord covers in the same color as your wall to hide all of the cables.
Many people like the look and functionality of a mounted TV but aren’t sure how to do it. If you’re not able to do it yourself or just don’t have the time, Geeks on Site can help! Our team of tech experts can help create a functional and attractive home entertainment area by mounting your TV professionally. Contact us today to schedule your professional TV mounting!