We rely heavily on data and the important files we store on our personal computers, laptops, iPads, servers, and other devices. Though, are you aware how much we rely on our personal and professional devices to store this information? How much do we mind our data privacy?
How much data do we store?
Active users on the Internet generate about 2.5 quintillion bytes of data every day. To understand how much that is, here are some examples of what happens every minute.
- Google generates 3.6 million searches.
- The Weather Channel fulfills 18 million forecast requests.
- 1 million videos are played on YouTube.
- 600 edits are published on Wikipedia.
- Over 550,000 photos are shared on Snapchat.
- Over 15 million texts sent.
It is estimated that this overwhelming amount of data will grow, by the year 2015, to 163 Zettabytes of data stored on computers worldwide.
Tips for cloud-based backup and data recovery
With so much data on our hands, it is almost impossible to keep track of it all. However, there are some good solutions that can help you both, yourself and your company Cloud-based backups are the answer to the prayers of many as it ensures your data is saved securely. Here are some tips to help you choose a cloud service provider that can enhance your data privacy:
Check the application coverage
With large amounts of data, it is important that the application, which the cloud comes with, is supported on all of your devices.
Check the backup storage safety
Before you make any decisions to store your data in the cloud, you must be sure that all of it will be stored safely. Some cloud service providers promise that one file in a billion might be lost.
Check for functionality
Test every aspect of their features, everything from notifications to speed and encryption needs to suit your needs. Use some dummy data just to get an idea of what you are dealing with.
Check data access
There is no point in using cloud storage if you cannot access it when needed.
Secure your data
All kinds of viruses and hackers threaten your data. Here are some tips for for updating and upgrading your data privacy.
- Backup – Chances are that you do not need your wedding photos stored on your main laptop so back them up on a separate drive or use a cloud storage service.
- Anti-malware – All devices should be equipped with an anti-malware software program. Malware comes in the form of, viruses, worms, spyware, etc. and all of them could cause serious data loss.
- Destroy old drives – If it is defective or you just do not plan to use them anymore, destroy all drives before throwing them away. Also, if you want to give a drive to a friend or if you sell it, perform a deep level format, this way it will be impossible to recover any of your data.
- Secure your Internet connection – Some Wi-Fi networks can be accessed with a simple android app, even if they are password protected. Make sure the router has the latest software updates.
- Turn off the computer – If you are done for the day, turn off the computer. Hackers love an idle computer; it means that they can mess about with your files in peace.